Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Christmastime in Cambodia

My first Southeast Asian Christmas was very nice.  Here are some pictures of some of the goings-on for Christmas in Cambodia...



A Christmas Party and a Christmas Factory
 
I was on the committee for the Asian Hope Christmas party.   All of our centerpieces were of the homemade variety, so we set up a Christmas factory in the living room of our house.  We put on the tea, some Christmas tunes and went to town.  It was a holly jolly good time.  Committee meetings usually aren't this enjoyable, but I was more than happy to attend every meeting!



 
We made decorations out of t.p. tubes and glitter.  Perfect for a tight budget!  They looked classy and beautiful despite their humble ingredients.
 
Meredith was the ticket maker.  The tickets were for door prizes. 
 
The great thing about tile??  You can scrape up Christmas ornaments when they become glued to the floor.
 
The Greeters.  Who wouldn't want to come to this party?
 
Party time!  All prettied up for the occasion.  By the way, I had that 100% silk dress made (labor and material) for less than $40.  That's Cambodia for you!
 


Christmas in the Classroom
 
Each student made their own nativity from a paper pattern.
 
 
The kids used their nativity scenes and characters to tell the Christmas story to a partner.
 
Sheep ready for the Christmas production


Christmas in the Home

Don't have a fireplace to hang stockings?  Make your own using dry erase markers on a tile wall.

 
 
 
A Village Christmas
 
After school my brother picked me up and away we went out of the city. 
 
 The downstairs was prepared for all the AGHO kids the next morning.





I got a giant jicama in my stocking. I'm hoping that doesn't mean I've been a bad girl, just that someone thinks I should eat more root vegetables.



There is always something going on around here.  This musical numbers around the Christmas tree.
 My brother and I.  I'm wearing my new blue silk scarf that I got for Christmas. Isn't it pretty?

 


1 comment:

  1. Neat!
    Thank you for the pics! Do you have one of Sammy? ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and encouraged as long as they are well-meaning and uplifting!